View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: GREG COSELL: Haley & Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I have a couple problems with Haley's offense. I think what needs to be addressed first and foremost is the lack of gameplanning around Mike Wallace. Why is he running intermediate and underneath routes when he has the talent and speed to blow the top off a defense? The same could be said for Manny and AB - we should be running a vertical offense that gives Ben the chance to throw it down field more often.
I agree with you-- somewhat. What you are asking for here, is Bruce Arians to come back to the Burgh.

The goal of Haley's offense is to take the high-percentage gains and keep Ben from holding the ball trying to force something downfield.

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm completely against the 'dink and dunk' that he's implemented, but we have talented WRs and we're not using them properly.
Although he is quick, sending Antonio Brown deep is not using him the correct way. He is a possession receiver, who specializes in YAC.

Mike Wallace's talent is single-fold-- he can run really fast. Can't catch, can't run clean routes. Sure, send him deep every play. For what it's worth-- teams don't fear him as uch anymore. he does not draw the double coverage he did in past years. They know he will drop it.

Quote:
We've invested in our offensive line heavily the past few years to protect Roethlisberger and his offense often times feels like it's going overboard with keeping Ben safe. He isn't made of glass and he isn't going to change how he plays - let the receivers run and let Ben make things happen the way only Ben can.
Ala Bruce Arians......

Quote:
The other major gripe I have about his offense is the lack of running outside the tackles. Look, when Rainey is on the field, he shouldn't be running it up the middle. Let him bounce it outside and make a play in open space instead of having to fight through linebackers and defensive linemen. I don't understand the big fad here in Pittsburgh of "run it up the middle! ya!" when that shit isn't working and hasn't for years.

Despite the weaknesses in his gameplan, it's still a step up from watching Arians call plays.
^^^ This for sure.

The reason they keep running it up the middle, is because other than the miniature Rainey, they do not have an outside run threat except the one that has been inactive for the last three weeks.