View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #21
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: GREG COSELL: Haley & Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
You mean it isn't blatantly obvious the Steelers are overly concerned with TOP?
Even if they are obsessed with ToP-- WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT? We have a lot of old guys on defense, and the way to keep a defense fresh is to own the ball and not let the other team do the same.

It also deprives the other team of scoring opportunities if they don't have the ball.

Quote:
Where do I see it? I see it in the way they play. I see it when Wallace is only sent a few yards down field. I see it when they try to run up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs. I've heard in Tomlin's press conferences earlier in the season, something along the lines of "we want to possess the ball."
Again, that is a winning strategy, in any level of football. Where we got derailed this year was with the injuries, the defense that started out rough, lack of a legit franchise RB, and a freak injury to Ben on a sack that did not look any more vicious than the 46 per season he was averaging under Arians.

The gameplan was nearly flawless, the execution is where the failure was.

Quote:
You can site stats or talk about the mandate to protect Ben all you want, but what matters most is 20th in scoring and 7-7. The team needs a change in offensive philosophy. Instead of fearing the quick strike teams, they need to become one.
20th in scoring is two spots above where Arians offense ranked in its prime, if I am not mistaken. Keep in mind, when Arians took over, he was already an assistant for our team and did nto do a complete overhaul of teh playbook like Haley was expected to do upon arrival.

All things considered, our offense was clicking this year in a way it hasn't done in seasons, until Ben got hurt and the wheels fell off in KC.

"Instead of fearing the quick strike teams, they need to become one?" Isn't that what Haley is doing?