View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556
Default Re: GREG COSELL: Haley & Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I liked the way Haleys offense was progressing after about the 4th or 5th game. If I had any complaints they were and are, not enough shots down field with the deep ball, and running way too much on first down. Now as far as using Wallace as a deep threat I agree, but only to an extent. Using him too often, becomes predictable and will tire our true deep threat out during the course of a game. On the other hand his presence should draw a lot of double coverage which will open the underneath routes up more. Brown should be used for deep routes also to keep the secondary honest.

It's hard to throw the ball deep when you a)have one of the worst o lines in football giving the QB no time b)a QB who does not throw a pretty deep ball for the most part c) defenses not scared of running game. If Ben was better at delivering the ball in stride, those throws to Wallace may turn into big gains. Of course the receivers must actually catch the ball on those rare occurrences and not fumble the ball away. I find very little to fault Haley with considering what he is given. In years past I would have agreed that you couldn't put another QB in our system and have them do as well as BB. Now, I can think of about 10. That isn't because of Haley, it's just because Ben's skills are eroding and defenses are pretty much well versed in his play.

Wallace, from what I have seen is not a great route runner and he fails to fight for Ben's errant throws, unlike Brown who I have seen do it regularly. Despite everything, having a speed demon blowing the top off defenses is something all 32 teams could use. He will be long gone to another team next season and hopefully Gilreath can step into Sanders shoes with Sanders stepping into Wallace's.
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote