View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #41
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: GREG COSELL: Haley & Big Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Soooo, when do you figure the offense should start getting better?

It's funny that this Cosell dude points out:
"The problem arose when the O-line got injured/shuffled, and then the running game suffered, and BB got hurt, and they just haven’t gotten back on track. ", because I could say the same thing in reference to last season and the season before that and the season before that and so on. Yet in all those years I don't recall the offense looking as disorganized as we do right now and have for much of the season.

I like some of the things that Haley has done (or seems to be trying to do), but overall I really don't see all that much of a difference and in some ways I think it's worse. There doesn't seem to be any particular chemistry or evidence of everyone being on the same page. Sure, from time to time it seems like things click, but not so much that I get any sort of feeling of confidence about what I'm seeing.
That's because this offense isn't built to the strengths of its players, it's built for:

1.) Playing not to lose

2.) Playing not to get Ben hurt by turning him into Mike Tomzack

3.) Babysitting the defense with TOP

The Steelers felt that Arians offense took too many unnecessary risks. Unfortunately, the Steelers have now gone to the extreme in the opposite direction by playing scared football. Dink-and-dunk could be justified if you actually took shots down field after suckering a defense in, or if you actually let your three speedy receivers run routes beyond 10 yards more often. But they don't do that in fear that Ben will get hurt or that they won't possess the ball long enough, even though it's already been proven that a) Ben can get hurt in this offense, and b) this defense can still blow a game when the offense owns TOP.

Perhaps taking a few more risks would result in a record better than 7-7 and an offense that actually maximizes its potential.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (12-22-2012)