View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #1113
sexyllama
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18213
Default Re: Week 16 Gameday Thread: Steelers vs Bengals 12/23/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWitmyer View Post
I do want to point out a couple of things on these two points in particular, here because I agreed with most of what you said...

That having been said - in regards to the 3rd and one at the goal - not going for the first down was probably one of the two most costliest plays of the entire game. It would have been his worst decision of the game, aside from your second point.

In regards to Suisham, I think you're being somewhat unfair in regards to his ability versus the reality of Heinz Field and that NO KICKER has kicked a successful FG from beyond 52 yards on that field, ever. Suisham can certainly kick farther than 45 yards - he's been pretty much perfect in ranges between 40 and 52 yards. But asking him to kick a career long FG - as well as the longest FG on Heinz Field by any kicker, period - well, I'd say that was a bit of a tall order.
I'm not being unfair to Sushi. I'm an analytics guy. It's EXACTLY what you said:

1. I think we can agree that Sushi IS NOT considered a strong-legged kicker
2. Long-snapping was weird today. Laces out and low alot...
3. Heinz Field is grass
4. Heinz Field is windy and really hard to kick in...

You add all that up and it was just an insanely bad call. That is exactly what I meant... if we can figure that out what are we paying Tomlin 4+ million a year for.

You are right though, the pass play on 3rd and 1 on the 5 was just flat out a horrible call.

llama
sexyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sexyllama For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (12-23-2012)