View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511
Default Re: A Bit Confused Over The Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve314 View Post
The economic argument for NFL teams is interesting. The more loyal the fans are, the less (economic) incentive there is for the team to actually improve. If some owner knew that he would sell out the stadium every week and sell plenty of merchandise despite going 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7 every year, what's the economic incentive to improve the team? (Of course some owners have pride in the team and want to be good regardless of economics.)

Not saying that everyone should think of the NFL only as a business, but the NFL sure thinks of itself that way these days, so perhaps settling for a subpar product is unwise.

Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to the Steelers ownership. We'll see what happens going forward.

And it is easy to be spoiled as a Steeler fan with all their success. On the other hand, it's been a long time since I first sat through the Steelers losing to a crap team. One of the first ones I remember was the first ever game vs the Jaguars, back in 1995 (a crap expansion team that ended up 4-12)--yes, the Steelers managed to lose to a horrible expansion team. So this frustration with sloppy play, dropped passes, timeouts wasted in the 3rd quarter, and in general playing down to the competition goes back a long time.
I lived in jacksonville at the time, and that really was their whole entire season to them.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote