Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #30
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
Default Re: Off Season Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I love when people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to draft needs and/or possible draft prospects.

We're not drafting a NT in the first round. If we thought we could replace Ta'amu in another draft, we wouldn't have put him on the practice squad after the legal issues. Second, this class is too heavily defensive favored to draft an offensive player before the fifth round. Third, we're not resigning Dwyer. Overweight and out-of-shape running backs aren't my style and they shouldn't be the Steelers' style, either. It's time to move on from Captain 3 yards per carry.

Regarding free agency, they're going to resign Wallace. I'd like for you to name a team that will give Wallace more than 10 million a year in terms of a 5 year / 50 million dollar deal. The Steelers will match it, and if any team wants to give him more than that, be my guest.
Since when has free agency been about common sense? There are half a dozen teams out there who need help at WR with both cap room and desperation as their FA motivation - I wouldn't say it's an absolute certainty that Wallace is gone, but I'd be astonished if someone didn't offer more than what we're able to offer. His less than Stellar season this year gives us a glimmer of hope, but someone like the Raiders or Miami will offer him more than we will.

Agree with the rest though. With the defensive talent in this draft class and the fact that we've a history of going for the best available player at the time, I can't see us taking anyone on the O side of the ball in the first three or four rounds (unless someone totally unexpected falls to us, which is always possible). There's a job to do re-engineering the squad, and I think it takes a couple of drafts to do it - with the defensive talent available in this draft class, and the Steelers drafting high (for us), we may never get a better chance to re-tool the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited by BritishSteel; 12-24-2012 at 04:19 AM.
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote