View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #107
LLoyd&Greene
Water Boy

Member Number: 24665
Default Re: Fire Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphon View Post
They could certainly start considering options if not outright speaking to specific people. Keep their eyes on people they like etc....
Well you can't look for a coach without speaking to people to see who would or wouldn't be a good fit for your organization. I don't even know what "Keep their eyes on people they like" means.

Quote:
As I have pointed out, he is on a downward trend you seem to want to ignore. You are doing exactly what I don't want to see which is living off of old successes. His old successes are why I have said to give him another year. But what if we miss the playoffs again? What if we are out in the first round?
The team has been 12-4 the 2 previous seasons including a SB sappearance and you act as if I'm living way in the past. I'm not ignoring anything, you're just being irrational. Forget all of that "what if" negative talk. What if we bounce back and win the SB next year? Why aren't you thinking like that instead of being Debbie Downer ready to flip out and fire the coach because we had 1 disappointing season? There are a number of people who are culpable for the way this season has gone, it's not all on Tomlin.

Quote:
And I want to stress that I wouldn't even be so hard on him if we had a worse team but as you yourself point out, we have a team that has been the SB and been 12-4. So we have the talent to do it. Coaching has to be better though.
Yes, coaching has to be better going forward but players will obviously have to play better too. Coaches aren't out there dropping the ball, fumbling the ball, throwing inexcusable picks, or making boneheaded mistakes/penalties. There's nothing wrong with being disapppointed but if you're a true fan then I don't see why you're being so irrational. Even thinking of firing Tomlin at this point is just a dumb idea. It's stupid.

Quote:
It depends on how you view it. If it were minor things I might agree with you. However, he is having major malfunctions in his decisions. One of the worst calls I have ever seen made was having Shuisam attempt from 54. So you can argue well....He probably showed the leg for it in practice so we gave him a chance. Cool. He had his chance and blew it. The problem is, Tomlin made the same call TWICE......TWICE. He mad the worst call I have ever seen TWICE in the same year and one of them was during what was basically a playoff game.
Now you're just being hyperbolic. It was a bad call, and I was yelling at the TV telling Tomlin to punt the ball when he made it. It was hardly the worst call ever or anything close to that though. If I'm not mistaken, the kicker has only missed 3 fgs all year, and 1 of them wasn't his fault. It's quite possible that he had been making them from that far consistently in practice and that's why Tomlin gave him the opportunity to win the game. If he had made the kick nobody would criticize the decision and we'd all be happy.. Tomlin obviously had faith that the defense could bail us out and he was right in that regard. We lost the game because Ben threw an inexcusable pick, not because of Tomlin's bad call. To reiterate and make it clear, it was Ben's decison-making that cost the Steelers the game not Tomlin's.

Quote:
Pot kettle. Pot kettle. Pot kettle. If nothing else, you are consistent.
I'm starting to think that this "pot calling the kettle black" phrase is one that you've just learned or you're just trying to be slick. Either way it's clear that you have no idea what it means. Why don't you explain how I'm acting like a spoiled fan? This should be good.

Quote:
No. He should be fired if he doesn't get results next year, as I have already conceded.

And it kind of is as simple as I think. Again, I go back to the FG. That call cost us the game the first time Tomlin made the call. That one game has us in the playoffs or still in the hunt at this point.
Actually neither of those calls cost us the game. Imo the Titan game was not lost on Tomlin's decision to attempt that fg, it was lost in the 59 mins of lethargic football that the team played before that. That game shouldn't have come down to us attempting a 54 yd fg to win the game. You go for the win on the road, you don't play for overtime. The Bengals game wasn't lost on Tomlin's call either, as I've already explained. I put that lost on Ben, Haley, and the offense. The field goal team helped lose the game as well.

Tomlin's job is secure as well it should be. Sure he will have to make some adjustments and he's probably going to have to kick some ass next year, but he should not be on any kind of hot-seat. I'm not worried about the team not making the playoffs or not being improved as a team because I have confidence in not only Tomlin, but the organization as a whole from the players to the FO. They've earned it.
LLoyd&Greene is offline   Reply With Quote