Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #31
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,257 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: Why Should Lebeau Go??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryFormation View Post
After 15 weeks, the Steeler‘s defense, under coach Dick lebeau, is ranked number 1 in total defense, in the league. This is a defense that is playing along side an offense that is ranked 21st in the league, averaging just 20.8 points per game. With that in mind, there are those in the media, along with fans that are calling for Dick Lebeau to step down. Lebeau said that he doesn’t want to step down yet, but that the decision is, ultimately, up to Mike Tomlin.
Dick Lebeau first became a defensive coordinator in the NFL, back in the 1980’s, with the Bengals. He invented the Zone Blitz, which was made famous by the Pittsburgh-Blitzburgh defense, taking the Steelers to Super Bowl XXX. Lebeau’s second stint as defense coordinator for the Steelers began in 2004, when he took over a struggling defense from Tim Lewis.
With Dick Lebeau as defensive coordinator, the Steelers have won 8 Division Championships, 4 AFC Championships, and 2 Super Bowls.

Please tell me? Why do we need to get rid of Dick Lebeau? Who would take over? Could his replacement be any better?
First of all let's get one thing straight; Dick LeBeau did not "invent" the Zone Blitz - he simply refined it as many Defensive Coordinators have for years. The Zone Blitz has been around for about 40 years and was used extensively by the Miami Dolphins in the early 70's and Bill Arnsparger is often credited with "inventing" it.

That said, LeBeau did use the ZB in ways that were very creative and for a while it was a defensive scheme that was difficult to game-plan against and was thus very successful for a long time. But these days, virtually every team in the league is using some version of the ZB and as a result, most teams have a plan for playing against it.

LeBeau was a great DC and in some ways still is but my biggest complaint with him is that he doesn't seem to be able to adapt to an ever more changing game and he tends to rely on "Old School" methods and this was demonstrated quite clearly when the rules changed regarding the way defensive players can hit offensive players. Being an "Old School" player and coach, LeBeau (like many other such players who became coaches) learned to play defensive football in an era when hitting and intimidation was commonplace and he, naturally, passed on that mindset to his players. This worked for many years and the old "Imposing Your Will" approach, which included a good deal of token hitting and overkill tackling was often all that was necessary to basically scare the shit out of an opponent to the point where receivers shied away from crossing routes or other situations that might result in some crushing blow.

Nowadays, with the rules beefed up to eliminate such contact, LeBeau seems lost. He now (possibly for the first time in his career) has to think of ways to defend against offenses without relying on physicality and to play more as one might play a game of chess and he doesn't seem to be able to do that. He has (thankfully) concentrated more on the Secondary which has improved greatly but has become way too "soft" in the 10 to15-yard area and the line play - particularly in the blitzing department has suffered and I think it's because he can no longer rely on brute force as he has in the past.

Today's game is more about guile and cunning than simply an elbow to the head and I think LeBeau is too steeped in the old physical game (and too old to want to try to change gears now) to try to develop a more cerebral approach to the game.