Thread: RBs
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #26
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

Default Re: RBs

Let's get this straight for a minute. There might only be 2 running backs here next year that were here this year; Baron Batch and Chris Rainey (Batch because we can offer league minimum and he has to take it or quit the NFL).

Redman and Dwyer are RFA's next year. That means we can either match an offer they get elsewhere or receive a draft pick for them. I don't expect us to match any offer they get (if they get any offers). I expect us to take draft picks instead. If they don't get any offers elsewhere, then we probably resign either or both for league minimum.

I truly do not expect The Steelers to give Mendenhall much money after the hit of around $3.5 million this season with very little production or value. I expect him to go somewhere else. I agree that he has quite a bit of talent, but the way he handles himself and the ball leaves quite a bit to be desired.

That leaves drafting a RB or getting one through FA. There are very few good RB's in the upcoming draft, so a decent one might be available in rounds 2 or 3. In FA who could we legitimately get? Steven Jackson would be a great veteran if we could afford him. Shonn Greene, Peyton Hillis or Cedric Benson may not be an improvement. Do you reach for someone like Reggie Bush? What about Ronnie Brown or Jackie Battle? I wouldn't even be surprised if we brought Mewelde Moore back again.

Truth is that there is no real obvious option at RB and we may have the same woes as this season if the O-line doesn't get it together.