View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #38
VictoryFormation
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20598
Default Re: The Myth of Terry Bradshaw

Growing up in Pittsburgh, I’ve watched the Steelers since I was a little kid. I witnessed most of Bradshaw’s career, and the four Super Bowls. I’ve also watched Ben. Both quarterbacks are similar in their style of play, yet they excel in different aspects. But overall, Ben is better than Bradshaw. Ben is bigger. He’s tougher. He has got a stronger arm. He can move outside the pocket, and throw the ball on-the-run better. In his prime, he could scramble better. Bradshaw was great, but Ben has more natural ability at quarterback.
It took Bradshaw a long time to, fully, develop as a quarterback. Early in his career, he had the arm-strength, but his passes were a little wobbly. He didn’t throw a pretty ball. He was not throwing a tight spiral until he was in the league 6-7 years.
And, as for Bradshaw’s four Super Bowl wins, the league was different back then. There were the haves, and the have-nots. The Steelers became one of the haves, because we had the scouts that could go out, find and evaluate players that were coming out of college better than most of the other teams. By the late 1970’s, the NFL decided to try and correct the imbalance of talent in the league. They wanted parody. What they did was centralize the evaluation process of players coming out of college by creating what is now known as the Scouting Combine. The move by the NFL made a difference, but free agency is what , finally, leveled the playing field, somewhat. Today, there are no teams that are dominating the league, over a period of years. There are still winning franchises, like the Steelers that operate better than others, but there are no dynasties.
VictoryFormation is offline   Reply With Quote