Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #41
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,340 Times in 669 Posts
Default Re: The DL dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
Injuries have been the main cause for our LB's not playing to par the past couple of seasons, meaning sacks and turnovers are down. We need to get younger at LB and maybe replacing harrison is the answer. That all being said, our DL style is 2 gap and these young guys are struggling with that. they need to learn or get better playing that style, if not our pass defense will still be good, (if we can keep our good young corners) but our run D will not.
This defense, even though is aging, has been our strength. But everytime we lose it's the defenses fault, our defense is fine, Lebeau is fine, my only conern with Lebeau staying is we may very well lose Butler.
Rick, I agree that injuries to Harrison and Woodley the past 2 seasons have been impactful to the defense. (Also Polamalu injuries hurt too) I honestly dont see where the "young guys are struggling" with 2-gap style D line play.

The only people struggling with 2-gap D line play are the fans on this forum that dont understand how its played. They see guys in their fantasy football league that have JJ Watt, Geno Atkins, Jared Allen as D linemen with good sack totals, but forget that Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Cam Wake, Elvis Dumerville put up numbers at OLB too. They want out D line to sack the QB, when its not what they do. The most sacks I can see from a 3-4 D lineman this season is Corey Luiget of SD with 7.

I honestly dont see where Hood, Keisel, Heyward, Hampton were so bad this season. they are doing what 3-4 d linemen do.