Originally Posted by Steelers5895
I look at this team as not being one player away so I think its going to take a series of moves, even ones that may sacrifice 2013 to reload this team for another 4-6 years of playoff runs. We are not far off but the arrow is pointing down on this roster not up. I dont see many things to get excited about and more things that concern me. So here I go:
-Mike Wallace to a franchise tag- out of character for the steelers. he has talent so either we will get a 1st and 3rd or we put Mike in a position to sing for his supper for a long term contract
-Resign Plexico Burress- with our wr injury history and stalling red zone offense a big weapon like buress could turn the fgs into tds. burners like sanders, wallace and brown are ineffective inside the 20.
- Max Starks
- Jonathan Dwyer- has the most upside between him and Redman. this is back up money contract
- Legursky and Foster- key back ups who can play at multiple positions
- McClendon- replaces Hampton
- Brett Keisel- time to start Heyward and see what he can do with consistant play. can't stunt the growth of our first rounders. If he can't make it, we know we need to look in that direction in the 2013 off season
- Lamaar Woodley- too injury proned, no impact plays, he is more of a stat compiler the last 3 seasons than someone who has made an impact. his size and lack of speed makes him too one dimensional for his salary
- Willie Colon- cant stay healthy
-James Harrsion- he finally got healthy last quarter of the season and was the impact player we need. Going into the off season without needing a surgery and somewhat healthy could mean big things in 2013...at a reduced rate.
-Troy Polamalu- see above- same thing
Let hampton, batch, mendy, redman, sanders, foote, leftwich, mundy, sylvestor go
Free Agent signings:
- #2 qb- Tyler Thigpen, Kellen Klemens type guy, low money, seen action, can fill in for 2-3 games if needed. we lose Ben for any longer our season is shot anyway so wont matter who we have at #2
- Joique Bell- RB- DET- runs hard, can catch out of the backfield, wont demand big money and can be a starter.
- Alan Branch- DL- SEA- former first round pick who hasnt panned out. Size and speed could make him versitle on our line as a veteran as we see what we have with our young 1st round picks- can come cheap
- Rolando McClain- struggling first round pick available for cheap. Has speed to play OLB or ILB. Raiders arent exactly a great place to develop LBs, we are. Could be a huge reward player given a second chance
Cant be over active with Free Agents based on cap room. Need to find gems
Trade down from 17 to 26-32 and get another late 2 and a 4. No one at 17 is going to step in and start so lets get more players to develop for 2014.
Rd 1- ILB
Rd 2- DT
Rd 2- S
Rd 3- OLB
Rd 4- RB
Rd 4- burner WR
Rd 5- QB
Rd 6- TE
Rd 7- DL
A defensive heavy draft to get some youth for a VERY old defense. I feel our offense, although it didnty play well at the end of the year is closer to being fixed than the defense is to staying productive.
K. Lewis - Only if he accepts a reasonable 4+ year deal, if he wants BIG money, then we let him go.
M. Wallace - Only if he realizes his value has dropped and accepts a reasonable deal, if not he's gone.
R. Mendenhall - to a reasonable deal, not too expensive though.
M. Starks - Another one year deal lol, like the past 3 seasons.
I. Redman - two year deal for cheap and a good back up for Mendenhall, especially on 3rd downs.
R. Foster - Only if he changes his mind about being a starter, he's moderate at best and not worth Starting or a starting lineman's contract.
S. McClendon - Does replace Casey Hampton.
L. Foote - If he doesn't decide to retire, we should sign him to a 1-2 year deal so Spence has time to learn and develop since he was injured all this season.
W. Allen - Was solid when Polamalu was out of action, good back up to have. 2-year deal.
E. Sanders - Had ball handling issues this year, but fits this offense well and if he trains hard should be back to being a reliable #3 receiver. 2-3 year deal.
D. Legursky - Plays every O-Line Position moderately and is a pretty good back up. 2-3 year deal?
P. Burress - If and only if Mike Wallace does re-sign, if Wallace doesn't re-sign then pick up Burress for a One year deal.
W. Colon - Has ended up on Injured Reserve way too much and makes too much money.
J. Dwyer - He was our best back this year, but I just don't see him being our Starting Back or even a 3rd down type of back, so he should be let go.
C. Hampton - Not dominant anymore and should consider retiring.
C. Batch & B. Leftwich - We need better back up QBs. Bye Bye.
S. Sylvester - Hasn't really developed well and is mainly special teams type of backer now.
1. Safety/Cornerback (Depending on who's available)
4. Tight End
5. Defensive Tackle
6. Wide Receiver