Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,454 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: How legit is Colbert

I completely understand what you are saying - and I applaud you for your high expectations as any Steeler fan would have

As a Steeler fan, and based on recent history - I think it is reasonable to expect someone selected within the first 3 rounds to contribute within the first couple of seasons. Of course, there are a ton of variables to factor in along with that general expectation.

What position are they being drafted for v. what the team needs are and who is already at that position and what is already being produced at that position? Is this a draft pick for an immediate need, long term need that you have confidence will grow into what you want them to be over time, or someone you know needs a little work on and then should be ready to step up or a project guy that is a bit of a gamble?

Then, there are other variables to throw in when measuring player versus player, and what you wanted to see more to fit your need. OR - do you throw a lot of this out the window when a high prospect falls in your lap and is too good to pass up regardless of their position and the situation you already have at it? and is available without giving too much in return (trading up or down) ?

You hope your Rd 1 pick can contribute right away. You have a 50/50 shot of getting Rd 1 capabilities in the 2nd round, have someone who might just need some time in your system or tweaking in Rd 3 and so on or, you have some bottom of the barrel picks left over, don't expect much, and might take a risk on something you don't really need as a pet project in the later rounds. Or, maybe you are feeling pretty good about taking a gamble, and like what you saw out of someone for your team, regardless of what other people think.

A SHIT TON OF THOUGHT.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote