View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #16
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: 2013: Career Crossroads For Ben Roethlisberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I agree that the voters will not like BB. But, I think that the dude is the epitome of HoFer.

I equate BB to Hines Ward: They changed the way the game is played.

Hines Ward does not have the greatest stats, but he took the WR from a position of "merely" glamour to a position where you can block the snot out of a DB (& help your RB get an extra 5-10 yards). Every WR since Ward has learned how to block; the entire NFL changed.

BB's style of play is like NO other player in the entire NFL (which is why I love him, and why comparing him to Brees (et al) makes no sense). BB is unsackable (Yes, he gets lots of sacks, but that is because he runs around for 7 seconds; you try that with any other QB, and they have double the number of sacks that BB gets). And, his pump-fake is incredible. When the pocket breaks down, no one else can do what BB does.

I remember hearing Terrell Suggs talk about a rookie LB who was all "hot to trot" to sack BB. Suggs kept saying, "You've never played against him." The rookie kept on going about how he'd sack BB three times or more. Suggs iterated, "You've never played agaisnt him." Then... in the game... that LB had BB dead to rites... and that LB whiffed. THAT is why BB is a HoFer.

Lastly, that final drive in XLIII is the greatest drive & one of the greatest plays in SuperBowl history.

That drive... plus, his rookie season... his incredible post-season record... his record-setting three game post-season in 2005 (highest QB rating in NFL post-season history)... and two (maybe five) Lombardi trophies makes him a HoFer.
While that's all true, you have to look at the era he plays in, and the way the league is going. Voters will do that when it's time to induct. Ben will be compared to Brady, both Mannings, Brees, Rivers, RGIII, Rodgers, Luck, Carson Palmer, Newton, Andy Dalton, Flacco, and on and on. We all know Peyton and Brady make it. They can't induct them all though, so now they start ranking.

Palmer is shit, but he has as many passing yards as Ben. Flacco could end up with SB rings, even though he's shit. Rodgers and RGIII are huge media darlings. Unless they both fizzle out in a big way, they'll be looked on more favorably than Ben. Now things are really getting close. IMO, if everything goes on as it is today, Ben has to beat Eli Manning for a HOF spot. If Eli ends up at 3 rings but Ben doesn't, Eli gets in and Ben does not.

The league is moving towards fast play, big passes, and high scores. Ben will need stat lines to match that if he wants to be in the HOF. New QB's coming into the league will be putting up more and more yards and points, so he'll stand out less and less if he doesn't have a few more big seasons. While he may bring unique play to the position, it's not a unique style that the wider fanbase likes, so I don't think it will do much for him. Otherwise he would be the guy pimping shoes and car insurance on national TV instead of trying to sell bottles of sauce at Giant Eagle.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote