View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin Puts Wrap On '12 Steelers

A fair, non hysterical recantation of the season that was.

While injuries are not an excuse, it does change how a team prepares, how many reps a unit gets, even how many bodies, not to mention the quality of the bodies you have to practice with.

I'm going to assume that with each lineman that went down, more and more time in practice was spent on protecting our franchise QB from being killed, and less on the running game. The cumulative result was a rushing attact that imploded by the end of the year. Oh, on an occassion, a back would get out to the edge when things jammed up in the middle, and we'd all go "OOO", but for the most part, it was not good later on in the season .

On the assessment of the D, spot on. Early on Harrison was some guy wearing a Steeler #92 jersey, no Troy, new players, and responsibilities took a bit longer to gel, but once they did, it was pretty solid. I'm pretty sure if we could have gone on in the playoffs, the D would have more than held it's own. Unfortunately, the O at this point was shot.

Special teams are never special in the Burgh. The return crew was ok. The coverage units were not, but can be explained by injuries to key players, as well as coverage players moving on to starting roles for significant periods of time.

I will disagree with Tomlin on Amos. He doesn't need help. he needs replaced. two blocked punts, giving up two conversions on fake punts....that is not getting it done.

Last edited by VaDave; 01-10-2013 at 06:48 AM.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote