Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #37
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,132 Times in 508 Posts
Default Re: The Steelers play scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
True. But wouldn't you say offenses weren't quite as wide-open during Cowher's tenure?

Also consider Cowher isn't here anymore and the Steelers defense has had some fourth quarter issues for the last three seasons. Playing close to the vest hasn't worked out too well in recent history.
Cowher was worse - the original "Martyball" disciple.

There is an NFL Films clip of a verbal exchange between Ben and Cowher during SB 40 where Ben is walking towards the sidelines and says to Cowher, "Coach let's play to win; let's not play not to lose." And I think that that particular exchange sums up Bill Cowher's approach to the game when things got tight.

After Cowher and with Ben becoming a more mature player, it seemed as if things were easing a bit and the offense became more wide-open and took more risks and even the defense was more aggressive and seemed to try to cause takeaways instead of just trying to keep teams from scoring.

But lately, things seem to have drifted back towards Martyball and there's a strong sense of Deja vu. I don't know if it's philosophy, fear or something else, but I don't like it and it needs to change.
GoFor7 (01-11-2013)