View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #41
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default Re: The Steelers play scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
When you have a top ranked defense and a lead, you run the ball to kill the clock and play good defense. I don't think its playing scared I believe it's playing smart. IMO.
It's smart in the 4th quarter maybe. But when you get a lead in the second quarter and then try to sit on it for the rest of the game, then yes, it is playing scared.

Quote:
Cowher was worse - the original "Martyball" disciple.

There is an NFL Films clip of a verbal exchange between Ben and Cowher during SB 40 where Ben is walking towards the sidelines and says to Cowher, "Coach let's play to win; let's not play not to lose." And I think that that particular exchange sums up Bill Cowher's approach to the game when things got tight.

After Cowher and with Ben becoming a more mature player, it seemed as if things were easing a bit and the offense became more wide-open and took more risks and even the defense was more aggressive and seemed to try to cause takeaways instead of just trying to keep teams from scoring.
I give Cowher a little bit of a pass considering offenses weren't as wide open back then as they are today. He did give his fanbase unnecessary heart-attacks at times and I see where you are coming from.

Quote:
But lately, things seem to have drifted back towards Martyball and there's a strong sense of Deja vu. I don't know if it's philosophy, fear or something else, but I don't like it and it needs to change
Like I said before, the Steelers are scared shitless that if the offense "scores too quickly" then the defense will be ineffective an get suckered into a shootout. If you look back at my post about where the playoff teams rank in time of possession, then it's not unreasonable to think the Steelers can trade some possession time for some points.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote