Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,491 Times in 10,343 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
2013 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 (Divisional Playoff Week Edition)

Jan 12th, 2013 by Dominic Di TollaSteelers

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Elam SS (Florida)

As I have stated on numerous occasions, the Steelers must find a way to plan for the future at both Safety positions this offseason. One player in particular I can see them targeting with the 17th overall pick is Matt Elam of Florida. Like I pointed out in a post from a month ago, Elam has the tools and skill-set to be a nice replacement for Troy Polamalu once he hangs up his cleats.

Elam is a big-hitter who is not only speedy, but can line up in a number of different areas on the Defensive side of the ball. The Strong Safety (5í10″ 202 lbs.) improved off of his solid Sophomore season (78 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 2 INTís), and racked up 76 Tackles, 11.0 TFLís, 2.0 Sacks, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 Interceptions as Elam helped lead the Gatorsí Defense to a Sugar Bowl berth. A year or two stint behind Polamalu and under the tutelage of Defensive Backs Coach Carnell Lake could serve Elam well, and also give him time to develop into a quality Safety.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/01/12...eek-edition/2/
Elam

I was thinking that trading down and THEN drafting him at 25ish (plus, acquiring an extra pick) was the way to go... BUT... I am thinking more & more that he will go around 20ish. Thus, if the Steelers are going to take him, it might have to be at 17... which, I am not at all against.

He's been my favorite player for a year... and, admittedly, I am biased when I say to take him at 17.

IMO: he is a slightly lesser version of Polamalu and/or slightly better than Eric Weddle.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote