View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 23,308 Times in 9,506 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Will Steelers Be Able To Keep FA CB Keenan Lewis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I think it's crazy that some think Lewis is special and deserved 5-7 million a year. I honestly don't think there is a single team that would make him their number one. I think he could be a number 2 on possibly 10 teams including us. Only the bad ones mind you. If Lewis had to cover an even slightly above average number one WR he would be about as effective as William Gay was against number 2s. That is an improvement, but no way deserving of number one corner money. I would take half that money and sign Allen long term to be our number 2. Use 1st round pick on CB (assuming stud OLB) isn't there. Brown is not good, even worse than Lewis so that was another wasted secondary pick by Tomlin so it just seems to me that we need to devote an earier pick on secondary help especially with how much of a passing league it has become. If we could sign Lewis to say 4 years 18 million I would bite but he will most likely be using those bogus pass defend numbers against suspect offenses we faced this year to justify a big raise that someone like Cleveland or Miami may pay.
I disagree.

A top/#1 CB gets about $12-15 million per season. A #2 CB gets about $8-10 million per season. Why? CB is the hardest position to play in the NFL (due to the recent rule changes).

I say sign Lewis for $7-8 million... and, offer Allen a contract NOW, in the range of $6-7 million (lock him up BEFORE he becomes a full-time starter).

That would be two starting CBs for $15 million... which is a steal.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote