View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Re: Beachum will be part of rebuilt offensive line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I still can't believe we're going to go through the Max Starks FA cycle again. Seriously, he's not that old and he's our most consistent linemen playing the most important position on the line, and we could have him for the minimum. We'll cut him, and then in week 4 when Gilbert is out indefinitely we'll sign him again and he'll come in and lock down LT for the rest of the season.
Max has been a solid player over the years for this team, and he seems to be a respected veteran presence in the locker room. He has been a reliable insurance policy as well.

I think the idea here, though, is to start the two young second-rounders Gilbert and Adams at the tackle spots rather than going with Max for another year. We spent valuable draft picks on both of these two in the last two seasons, and both have the potential to become fixtures on this line. To go back to Starks would be hindering progress, as solid as he may be.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to resign him as a backup to both tackles, however. Gilbert is injury-prone, and it is certainly possible (perhaps even likely) that one or both will miss a game or more next season. I don't know if there would be a market for Max elsewhere to start; if not, I'm sure he would be happy to return to the 'Burgh at the minimum. He would be valuable as a veteran backup who understands how things are done here.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote