View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,098 Times in 3,065 Posts
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

I think the Burress example was a little iffy. I mean, he did win a Super Bowl with the Giants when he left here. That being said, Wallace should go have a long talk with Santonio Holmes and talk about being a selfish player and what it's done for him over in New York playing with Sanchez. There's playing for money, then there's playing for money and playing for a perennial Super Bowl contender like the Steelers are. If the Steelers table him another 5 year / 50 million dollar deal, I think he takes it. He might get more elsewhere, but who is he going to be playing with? The way I see it, there's only three legitimate contenders that have the cap space and/or need to fill.

1. Miami Dolphins
2. Buffalo Bills
3. New York Jets

Take a long, hard look at that list. The first thing that will jump out is they're playing in the AFC East. That's right, they're all playing against Tom Brady and his Patriots. So, that should be a red flag right there. The second thing, only one of those teams have a legitimate Quarterback of the future and it's the 'Fins. So, the 'Fins have Tannehill but Wallace would be his only legitimate receiving threat. Sure, you'll get 85+ catches, but you'll also be 5 - 11 so I think the con's outweigh the pro's there.

It all comes down to what Wallace thinks is best for him: a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal with the Steelers, or a 5 year / 55+ million dollar deal with a team that has no chance of seeing postseason action, let alone a shot at the title, for many, many years. Someone has to sit him down and tell him that because apparently, Bus Cook isn't.

So, how does this tie into our draft? If Wallace leaves, it doesn't matter who is on the board in the second round - we have to go WR. I'm a huge Manny Sanders fan and I think he's underrated and needs to be given a shot, but I don't trust Cotch and Burress as our 3rd and 4th receivers for many different reasons. First and foremost, they're old. Grabbing someone like Robert Woods or Cordarrelle Patterson in the second round gives us another shot of youth in our receiving core. Secondly, they're not all that talented. They have sure hands when they get separation, but they're never able to get separation unless Ben goes sandlot and makes something out of nothing.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote