Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,679 Times in 7,884 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I can see where godor7 is coming and what he means.

The defense is number one again (and that's based on total years allowed ) but we were 8-8. A lot of people want to load up on defense in early picks so we can maintain this number one defense, which isn't a major need. We have some young players waiting in the wings of our defense and those guys are young and fast Allen Lewis even brown, heyward will be a quality de McClendon is faster are could be just has good as Hampton with the ability to stay on third down to generate some pass rush., and the verdit is still out on worilds spence and slyvester. Our biggest problem would lay in the safety spot where there is no clear cut replacement for either Troy or Clark and they both will be back be next year.

We don't have to maintain this top 5 defense to win another Super Bowl. What the defense needs to do more is generate turnovers and score ie more int and more fumbles something Allen showed in the last game, punching the ball out and such.

So with our young players waiting to step up we should focus more on offense then we do defense especially in the early rounds.

I especially would like our offense to be able to drive down and score a lot more than we did last year. Also I hated watching three and outs punting the ball and giving it away to the opposing team at the 50. We would also give the other team a short field to work with and then in turn we would always have 70+ yards to go.

We can always use another oline wr rb te more needs on offense than defense for next year
Oh, I understood Gofor7's initial post. See my initial response to him. Heck, I even "thanked" his initial post.

I had an issue with his notion that Colbert is "stuck in the 90s" (drafting defensive players & ignoring the offense). As if Pouncey, Wallace, DD, & AB is "ignoring" the offense. It's that "little bit" extra that he adds, the derision, that gets me riled up. Anyway...

This defense is predicated on pressure from the OLBs. Harrison looked better as the year wore on, and if Woodley goes on a diet, he should be back to his 12-sack-per-season form. BUT, Harrison has one year left in the tank, and it'd be nice to have a young player in the mix, to rotate with Harrison and/or Woodley.

Furthermore, when Harrison was healthy, Allen got turnovers; the two things are related (which is why I want a pass-rusher).

I know that some like Worilds, but he is nothing more than Clark Haggans... and I want Joey Porter.

As I posted to Hawaii, this defense is indeed young... if the "back-ups" ever start. Truthfully, the only two positions where there is not a young starter is OLB & both S spots.

Ergo, I say: OLB & S... followed by a tall WR (see my post to SteelersCanada about that), a RB (Lattimore would be a calculated risk), and a TE. Then, in R6 & R7, take a stab at another S (to replace Clark) and then an O-lineman (for back up purposes & to development).

Last edited by teegre; 01-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote