Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,992 Times in 8,013 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Compensatory picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If we're picking at number 1 and 17, I go Luke Joeckel. Then, at 17, I go Dion Jordan.

Joeckel - ??? - Pouncey - DeCastro - Adams
Interesting.

For me, it is not simple. I went through each top-rated player, and via deductive reasoning, eliminated until I was left with my answer.

Dee Milliner: While he is the top-rated CB in this draft, he would be the second (or third) CB in some drafts. He's good, but not Champ Bailey good. Plus, Cortez & Keenan are the future. Not needed. NO.

Jarvis Jones/DeMontre Moore: This is where I had to stop for a second. An elite pass-rusher is key to the 3-4. But, with that said, at 17, there would still be a ton of OLB on the board. Ergo, playing the odds, the two pass-rushers are passed upon. NO.

Luke Joeckel: Here is where I had the most trouble. If he played LT, then the Steelers are set for a while:
Joeckel - Gilbert - Pouncey - DD - Adams
BUT, is Joeckel of the Joe Adams & Orlando Pace ilk... no. Thus, I'd rather fill another need, and see if Gilbert pans out at LT. A hesitant NO.

Star Lotulelei: I know that I'm going to hear it about this one, but Star is a once every five years type of NT. Sure, McClendon could be the future and Ta'amu might not go to jail, but while I am hesitant to take a NT at 17 (I do not see them as being anything special), Star is in a class of his own. The 3-4 is predicated on the NT. Casey Hampton came in and turned a defense that was struggling into the best defense in the league; Star would do exactly the same. Ergo, he is my pick at #1.

...followed by Matt Elam at 17.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote