View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: The WalterFootball.com mock for us so far

Well in defense of this mock draft by WalterFootball.com I can see the reasoning somewhat minus the lack of a safety pick. However upon further thoughts:

I believe Troy and Ryan Clark are signed through 2014, so 2015 is when a starter would be needed good health by both considered. However it's a good draft for safeties and would hate to pass one up.

You would think third round picks should be starters, but when looking at a lot of drafts most picks are role players and backups. Think Matt Spaeth. If Spense can't get a lot stronger he will easily be pushed around out there on runs and be a liability. If a super stud ILB is there in the first no way do the Steelers pass on him because they have an uproven third round pick who's better suited for the Timmons role waiting in the wings. Teo can be a perenial pro-bowl player and is a great leader.

With Wide Receiver depth looking like A Brown, E Sanders, and J Cotchery this team needs a WR badly, and I fully expect one in the first 3 rounds as I do RB. Dwyer showed some real good things, while Redman no doubt underachieved considering his role with Mendenhall hurt. Neither showed they can do it week to week and neither has speed. The little tough guy from Rutgers or Eddie Lacey would be nice.

And on further study of OLBs besides the ones who will be gone by the time the Steeler's pick, the rest are high boom or bust candidates who may excell at one aspect but not the other. I don't think the Steelers like taking risks with their number one pick. I can almost guarantee a OLB won't be drafted in the first round considering Harrison may be back at a reduced rate and Worilds had 5 sacks with limited action last year. Throw in two guys behind them who could be getting better as well OLB will be drafted later and the 4th round prediction of a Michael Buchanan is right on in a perfect world.

So S or ILB round one
RB and WR round two and three
is very probably in my opinion.

One thing for sure all four picks in the mock are high energy, love football, leader type picks. Something considering the lack of discipline and leadership this team currently has would benfit this team going forward for years to come.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote