Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,882 Times in 7,557 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.
Yes & no.

Omar Khan is a genius at pushing money around.

Furthermore, they take the player's huge contract, and push the larger paycheck to the end of the contract... and then, they cut that player (eg Hines Ward & James Farrior), or, at other times, the player sees the writing on the wall & takes a pay cut (Bettis).

I think that Troy restructures his deal to take less this year, and then he retires. I see Keisel simply taking a pay cut (he saw what happened with Aaron Smith AND Cameron Heyward is waiting behind him, for 1/16 the cost). James Harrison is interesting because:

a) he is still dominant (when healhty), because he did not start until he was 26; fresh legs.

b) there are conflicting reports about his cap hit. Some say that cutting him would reduce his cap number from $6.5 million to jut $1.5 million (a savings of $5 million). BUT, I have also heard the opposite: cutting him would only save $1.5 million, because he would still cost $5 million against the cap. If it's the prior, then he mihgt indeed be cut (although I don't like it); if it is the latter, then why not just keep him around (it would not save the Steelers that much to cut him).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote