View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #47
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: NY passes new state gun laws

Haha! Dubbya is holding the children's book upside down.

I like to research data when people start talking about issues like this. What I have found from statistics on the FBI website is that handguns account for the overwhelming majority of firearms murders in the USA.

Using Pennsylvania statistics as an example: 379 of the 470 firearms murders committed in 2011 involved handguns- that is a staggering 80.6%. Firearms other than handgun, shotguns and rifles accounted for only 13% of all murders. America will not surrender its handguns- it's just not going to happen- so what is the government really after?

Also, 26% of all murders in Pennsylvania were caused without the use of firearms. More than twice as many people were murdered without the use of firearms as were murdered with the use of assault weapons. Should Obama also be trying to make knives illegal? It will be a lot tougher for Americans to eat dinner.

The bottom line is bad things will always happen and there is no way of preventing them. Citizens giving away all their freedoms to the government and begging the government to take care of them like a parent will not stop tragedies from occuring.

Most European countries as well as my native Canada do not permit assault weapons for private use. There are definite advantages to restricting access to such weapons. The time for the firearms discussion to occur is after the wave of fear caused by 9/11 and the ensuing military engagements has passed. The removal of firearms should not be rammed down America's throat like the Patriot Act or the NDAA.

I personally like living next door to the one country on earth that is armed to the teeth and I hope it stays that way.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
Blackout (01-17-2013), SteelCityMom (01-16-2013), Steeler7BR (01-16-2013)