View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #23
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Steelers’ Fixes Far Away From “Just One Year”

Sorry, but I think the article is pretty realistic.

IF everybody can stay healthy, and that is one big mutha of an IF, they have a chance. But keep in mind-- a lot of veterans that have helped lead this team the last decade will be aging out finally.

Who do we have behind Casey Hampton right now? Big Steve, who has looked good in spot duty-- but so did Redman and Dwyer. Besides him, we have a guy that is likely to be going to jail and won no playing time anyhow.

DT...check. The most important position on our defense.

If they don't sign Keenan Lewis (who it took us 3 years to groom), we have an aging and damaged Ike Taylor, plus a handful of no-names that costed us the Chargers and Cowboys games at CB.

If Harrison walks like many are projecting, we have a fatass trying out for nosetackle, and Jason Worilds, who has looked good in spot duty, but not when given significant playing time.

We have Hood, who is a misplaced 4-3 DE in a 3-4. On the other side, we will have Heyward, who has looked good in spot duty.

That right there is a lot of holes and question marks on the defense, arguably the unit that has carried this team for who knows how long. A bunch of unprovens going to be coming of age, ready or not.

Do we even want to think about our offense without Heath Miller at this point? I think Brown comes back next year ready to game, but I think Sanders has hit his ceiling. Cotchery needs more time in the field.

If Mendenhall walks, do we want to trust our run game to Dwyer and Redman for another season?

I think the Steelers could go either way-- they may stink, or burn it down next year. Too many unproven variables to throw in for me to be able to predict. Next year will be very interesting...and a very important one for Tomlin.