Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #49
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,791 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default Re: Arians Offered Cardinals Job

Arians explains why he canned Ray Horton

Horton's defense and Kevin Spencer's special teams were the Cardinals' only functioning parts the past two seasons.

Yet, during the interview process, Arians told the Cardinals he wanted to replace Horton with Bowles, whom he coached at Temple.

That deal should be done quickly, and the Cardinals will start tinkering with something that's not broken.

That might show more guts than wisdom, but team president Michael Bidwill and general manager Steve Keim were open to letting Horton go with one year left on his contract.

"Anytime you hire a new head coach, you want to give him a chance to succeed," Keim said. "If he thinks his best opportunity is by making changes on his coaching staff, I think you have to support him."

Arians called Bowles a great coach, yet the Eagles defense played worse after Bowles replaced Juan Castillo as coordinator at midseason.

In fairness to Bowles, the Eagles had more problems than a coaching change could solve. And keeping Horton was not an option for Arians.

"I've got all the respect in the world for Ray Horton," Arians said. "We were together in Pittsburgh. He's done a great job here. It just needed to be a football team directed by me. And anytime there is carryover, we don't want that as (players) being able to go somewhere else to voice an opinion.

"I didn't want to put Ray in that situation. It's not fair to him."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...orton/1846795/

So the only "fair" option for Horton was for BA to fire him

Fortunately Tomlin did not feel it was necessary to force LeBeau out when Tomlin was hired in order that the defense would not be able to "go somewhere else to voice an opinion."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote