Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,267 Times in 561 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I know I am going to get killed for this but if you look at history, Dick Lebeau's defenses are not championship defenses. (Steel Curtain, Doomsday, 85 Bears, Bellicheck from the Giants and early Pat Years, 2000 Ravens).

Sure, he has 2 Super Bowl wins but for top regular season ranked defenses, none were dominant playoff/Super Bowl defenses. in fact you can go back to when he was the D Coordinator for the bengals.

The Steelers defense was helped a ton in Super Bowl 40 by documented poor officiating. Not saying we would have lost but Seattle would have made a better run of it.

Big Ben bailed out the defense in Super Bowl 43.

Packers had their way in Super Bowl 45.

Plus the 49ers were able to come back on his defense when he was in Cincy.

My point is, I am sick of the high regular season rankings and come playoffs whenever we play a high powered offense we can't stop them. In fact, Tebow tore this defense to shreds.

That being said, I think its time to go in a new direction. Add the fact his defenses are impossible for young players to grasp for 2-3 years, I dont see this changing.

I must rather see a 4-3 being run by a innovative young DC or a new style 3-4 in hopes to get us back to where we need quicker. As much as our offense was the problem in 2012, with Ben that can be fixed quick. The defense with its age and under-developing young players is going to continue to not pressure the qb, not creat turnovers, give up leads to lesser teams for a while.
My biggest problem with LeBeau defenses is not that they aren't good, but that they're not dynamic.

Today's really good defenses are able to morph into whatever is necessary to counter another team's offense and most can do so within a few series. But LeBeau seems to set up a defense as a sort of "One-Size-Fits-All" crew and he thinks that minor adjustments will be all that's necessary if the basic package isn't working.

I think that's an old-fashioned way of looking at it because today's game happens much faster and offenses are showing more diversity. The better teams seem to arrive on game day with more than just a single game plan and are not afraid of changing gears in mid game and it takes more than a few "adjustments" to compete against such diversity. Often it's required to tear up a game plan and install a significantly different one and LeBeau doesn't seem to have the ability or desire to do that.