Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,146 Times in 1,987 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers SP Teams Deserves a Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I was responding to Steelfury, yes THE Steelfury, the illustrious MOTW, and realised the special teams has been a major issue for the Steelers and deserves serious attention.

I think your point about field position is an excellent one. I think that falls more on the special teams play than the defense though. The defense does get off the field better than most teams- 5th in 3rd down defense in the league. The special teams have been a disaster under Tomlin. Year after year it is poor coverage on kicks and punts, penalties on returns and a kicker who can't hit a 50 yarder. I think Drew Butler could be a good player and will get better in time but last year he was near the bottom of the league in net yards.

Suisham is very reliable from 45 and in but when 8 games are decided by 3 points or less you want a guy that can kick one from 50+. There were 7 kickers in the NCAA who made a 55 yard field goal or better last season. Maybe the Steelers should draft one in the 7th round or sign one as an UDFA?
you know . . .you're right - we are probably at least 9-7 with one less special teams gaffe

I'm sure 1 in particular immediately comes to mind

Only 1 way to go - up, Lloyd!

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote