Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
bhandsome08
Water Boy

Member Number: 24495
Default Re: Steelers' Mocks around the Web

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Round 3: Shayne Skov / ILB / Stanford

I'll start by saying I'm fully aware that the Steelers took an inside linebacker in the third round of the 2012 draft in the form of Sean Spence. I'll also say (and I've been pretty adamant on this topic) that I don't think Spence is a long-term answer on the inside.

At 5'11", 220 pounds, Spence doesn't fit the mold of a typical inside linebacker for the Steelers' scheme. That's where Shayne Skov comes in.

The former Stanford linebacker is big, to say the least. Standing at 6'3", 245 pounds, Skov is a great fit on the inside of the Steelers' defense, especially for what the team calls the BUCK position. That spot allows Skov to become almost strictly a run stopper.

At Stanford, Skov was the leader of a very good defense. He finished the season at 12-2 and with a Rose Bowl title. Skov finished his 2012 collegiate season with 76 tackles and 2.5 sacks, all while missing the first game of the season.

Skov's size alone makes him an intriguing prospect and could push him up draft boards. He's got a lot of developing to do in terms of pass coverage, but those Stanford guys tend to be pretty smart.

Skov would be a good pick for the Steelers in the third round.

-- I don't like the Shane Skov pick and would replace him with Nico Johnson. I also wouldn't take Rambo if someone like McDonald is on the board, but I'm not necessarily against that pick either. All in all, it's a pretty good mock and addresses all of our needs while still taking BPA. I love, love, love the Jordan and Woods picks. In fact, they're my 1/2 in my mock.
Skov is staying another year in college. So I think a safety will be pick in that round or an ILB.
bhandsome08 is offline   Reply With Quote