View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,003 Times in 4,565 Posts
Default Re: defense next year

I'm not sold on Spence at all and quite frankly, I think he was a wasted pick. He's fast and agile, granted, but he's small. He plays more like a SS than an ILB and I don't think his skillset is going to translate well into the NFL. While he has great intangibles and great awareness, I question his ability to make tackles or stuff the run against bigger Running Backs. He plays more like a 3rd-and-passing distance ILB that can cover TEs and slot WRs.

A third round pick on him was kind of high, especially considering who we could've taken with that pick. Guys like Hilton, Turbin and because there's been such a high demand for a Quarterback to back-up Roethlisberger, Cousins were still on the board when we chose Spence.

I feel like we're going to have to spend another third round pick on someone like Nico Johnson from Alabama to be our legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons. They're going to have to consider moving Spence to FS or SS for him to have a legitimate shot at starting in the NFL because frankly, he's just too small.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote