View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: defense next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm not sold on Spence at all and quite frankly, I think he was a wasted pick. He's fast and agile, granted, but he's small. He plays more like a SS than an ILB and I don't think his skillset is going to translate well into the NFL. While he has great intangibles and great awareness, I question his ability to make tackles or stuff the run against bigger Running Backs. He plays more like a 3rd-and-passing distance ILB that can cover TEs and slot WRs.

A third round pick on him was kind of high, especially considering who we could've taken with that pick. Guys like Hilton, Turbin and because there's been such a high demand for a Quarterback to back-up Roethlisberger, Cousins were still on the board when we chose Spence.

I feel like we're going to have to spend another third round pick on someone like Nico Johnson from Alabama to be our legitimate ILB to play alongside Timmons. They're going to have to consider moving Spence to FS or SS for him to have a legitimate shot at starting in the NFL because frankly, he's just too small.
No way spence is a safety. Although I'm not sold on him either only because he had a redshirt year so to speak but he's listed on the steelers website as 231lbs, foote is listed as 239lbs and farrior when he played was 240 or less through the season. I'm sure with the strength training program, he will be around what foote is coming into training camp.

Like I said I'm not sold on him either that's just cause he hasn't played( I think he will contribute once he can show what he can do ), but don't say he's to small and that's why you don't think he can play.

Nico Johnson would not be the answer , he is terrible in coverage, good to stop the run but bad in coverage, and we all want someone next to Timmons that can cover to free Timmons from those responsibilities.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote