View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #34
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Texas: Shooting-du-jour

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
To your last point, about people with guns not wanting to hang out together...I call BS. We hang out together at gun ranges, and gun shows all the time, no problems (well, except for some random, and atypical accidents like happened last week...but that can be addressed easily). I've never once feared for my life when going out to do some target shooting.

We are not Iceland (or I should say, we don't have Iceland's gov't). If we ever plan to overthrow our gov't, it's not going to be with pots and pans lol. And you're right...we have staved off nothing. And efforts to do so have been small, unorganized, and ineffective. My point still stands though. You're utopian dream of fixing our gov't with words isn't going to happen either, or else it would have been fixed a long time ago. It's just the way it is with tyrannical superpowers.
My point was regarding neighborhood association and PTA meetings, labor unions, city council meetings, etc. If you think guns help in any of those settings, well, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not sure how much social change one can expect from a shooting range or gun show. And I think you're missing the point of the examples from Iceland, Czechoslovakia and Occupy. Rather than snickering and dismissing them we should be expanding from where they left off.