harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,283 Times in 4,128 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: starting field position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Here is what I get out of this. 23.3 % of the time we pinned the opponent inside the 20.

That means they were able to flip field position on us as 29.8% started inside our 20.

that means our offense had long field too many time and if our #1 ranked defense could have gotten a few 3 and outs our offense would have started in better shape to score.

that is why being a #1 ranked defense based on yards allowed is such a bogus, deceiving ranking.
I agree with some of what you're saying, but the stats are only what they are. I don't think there's enough information for a professional statistician (or whomever) to develop a solid conclusion, and I've never seen these stats presented by the NFL (nothing besides starting field position averages).

I'd say they show a problem our whole team has, true the offense has a harder time getting in rhythm and sustaining good drives because they are pinned back, but also our D has problems when they are put into a bad situation.

edit: I guess the bottom line is we didn't make the plays to win games that we needed to win.

as more of a supporter of the viewpoint that our offense struggled and put our D in bad situations, I read the numbers with the opposite conclusion you have. Although I would add that's not why I went through the drives to begin with, nor did I post them to try and prove my point.

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 01-29-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: dumbness
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote