View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #118
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,681 Posts
Default Re: Stop kidding youselfs; Flacco is solid.

A lot of life is out of your control (what if Archie Manning had played for the Steelers and Bradshaw had played for the Saints in the 1970s - who would be in Canton then?) - if the Denver DB does not have a brain freeze at the end of regulation the question asked about Flacco would not be whether he is elite but whether the Ravens need another QB to win it all

But instead Flacco had one of the best QB post-seasons in NFL history

Questions I Never, Ever Thought I Would Have to Ask for $200, Alex

Did Joe Flacco just have the best playoffs of any quarterback we've ever seen?

Not joking. This is a conversation that absolutely needs to be had. The Flacchise has numbers that place him into that discussion, and if anything, the numbers might underrate how good he's been during these playoffs.

Let's start with the numbers, though, because they're staggering. Flacco finished the postseason having gone 73-of-126 (57.9 percent) for 1,140 passing yards with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Eleven to zero. Only one other player since the merger has produced a touchdown-to-interception ratio equal to or better than that in the playoffs, and it's a guy who has a pretty sterling postseason reputation: Joe Montana.

Montana's 1989 season pretty clearly stands out to me as the greatest postseason run since 1970, but I've gone ahead and listed some other notable Super Bowl–winning postseasons that might put Flacco's big January into context:

The article has a chart tat i could not cut and paste

Whatever adjectives you want to attach to Flacco are a matter of personal preference. I just know that there are a lot of "elite" quarterbacks who will never have a playoff run as good as the one Joe Flacco just delivered — and that labels often find themselves obstructed, for better or worse, by the Super Bowl ring on a quarterback's finger.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...in-perspective
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
RavensD (02-05-2013)