Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,763 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Hard to say how Hines being around would have changed matters - by the end of 2011 Hines was the #5 receiver in terms of ability and keeping him around as a player-coach-motivator for what he wanted to be paid would have been tough if he could not lead by example on the field - at some point your younger players need to step up without adult supervision - some younger players assume that role as the next generation of leaders (Ward, Smith and Porter for the Steelers after 2001) and some do not (Burress). Wallace did not

What the playoffs showed to me was the happy talk earlier in the year about the Steelers having the best receiving corps in the NFL was a joke - in today's game you need some size at WR (Megatron, Julio Jones, Green) and the Steelers did not have that even on the days Wallace felt like playing
and think about who has won the last 3 SBs. Green Bay didn't have the biggest guys, but they had near perfect route running and execution and thrived on adjust to our D's weaknesses (Think Jennings on sideline talking about corner in the end zone being open all day long) - all on same page.

Giants WRs were even closer to our guys in terms of size and speed but fought a helluva lot harder than what I saw and had way better hands.

Ravens WRs were extremely physical and were not going to be out physicaled for the ball. Boldin, Smith and Jones caught the Broncos, Patriots, and 49ers secondaries with their pants down and made them pay with mid-air timing

When your corp can't hang their hat on any one ability, you're right - they can be somewhat overrated. I think you'll see our guys get back to the basics and possessing over anything else, or, we're toast again.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote