Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,443 Times in 526 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Being named an "All-pro" is like going to the Probowl-- it is a popularity contest often won on reputation alone. Being an All-Pro is not bad-- but it is hardly debate fodder or evidence.
Well he said our WRs were "All-Pro," which they weren't. Now who's bullshitting whom?

Quote:
He also earned the honor of being the first to rack up 1000 yards receiving and on kick returns. Other than a few bad plays this season, Brown has been electrifying and worth every penny they gave him.
Roethlisberger only had a few bad plays this season, but that hasn't stopped people from shitting on him anyway.

Quote:
If you recall, Holmes did far less in his first two seasons. it took him until 2007 to finally start showing his playmaking ability.
That's fine; it doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had a 1,000-yard receiving season since he left the Steelers. What a coincidence.

Quote:
Which are not bad numbers. Not worth the $15 million he wanted, but not the disaster you are trying to make them out to be.
I never said he was a disaster, just overrated. He really is not as good as people say he is. He loses focus too easily; he never fights for the ball, and he's still a sloppy route-runner at times. Mike Tomlin didn't call him a "one-trick pony" for nothing.

Quote:
LOL. You are comparing Ward's last 4 seasons to the other guys' first 3? Why does that not seem like a fair or logical comparison to me?
I was asked to look at the WRs' statistics over the last five seasons. That period of time coincides with Hines Ward's last four. I was only doing what I was told.

Quote:
Comedy. Big Ben took us to and won SB XL with the likes of Nate Washington (stone hands), Cedric WIlson (wife beater who finished the year with less than 600 yards), and Willie Reid (who?).
Willie Reid was drafted in 2006, and, thus, was not with the team en route to Super Bowl XL. Roethlisberger also had a much better offensive line and running game at the time, which catered to one of his strengths: his play-action passing is lethal. It can't be lethal if nobody respects the run, and nobody has respected the run in the last five years.

Quote:
Going forward, I am thinking that Antonio Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and whomever they get to replace Wallace form a pretty solid WR corps.
They still need a tall, physical WR for a change. Emmanuel Sanders is a perennial slot WR, and neither he nor Antonio Brown can beat press coverage reliably.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote