View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: UK lawmakers approve same-sex marriage in first vote

Oh, and get a load of this if you want a good chuckle. Best first line in an article? It's pretty darn close...

Men in a civil union will now be allowed to become bishops in the Church of England, but they are not allowed to have sex.

Intercourse between two men -- or two women -- remains a sin.

Men and women in same-sex unions were already allowed to serve as priests in the Church of England, but there was a moratorium on advancement to the episcopate -- becoming a bishop -- while the church considered the issue.

The church announced Friday that if men in celibate civil unions may be priests, then there is no reason for them not to be bishops, as long as they are "living in accordance with the teaching of the Church on human sexuality."

Any priest looking to become a bishop must undergo a thorough examination of "personal and family circumstances," according to a statement released by the House of Bishops of the Church of England.

Quote:
"We want to be able to go into our local parish church, where we are practicing Christians, and under the eyes of the Lord, get married," said Barrie Drewitt-Barlow.

"I don't want to go in front of a vicar or priest who doesn't want to do it; it's supposed to be the happiest day of my life. I want to be really happy and joyous when I get married to the man that I've been together with for 25 years."
His partner, Tony, said it was a question of equality.
I wonder if they'll even be allowed to do that.

The British parliament is expected to consider legislation allowing same-sex marriage, but the Church of England and the Church in Wales would be prohibited from performing wedding ceremonies as long as it remains against canon law.

In 2005, Britain allowed same-sex couples to register civil partnerships, prompting the church to consider the issue. It does not bless civil unions of any kind, for fear some of them may be sexual. But it also does not exclude gays and lesbians from the flock, according to it 2005 deliberations.

(all quotes from here) http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/05/world/uk-same-sex-bishops

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote