View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: Defensive END play since Aaron Smith...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Skip a beat ??? I beg to differ. Hood is much less talented than Smith. Have you taken a good look at what happens to him when the opposing offense runs a zone block on him? They guy is pathetic. He gets turned more often than Ginger Rogers......For as stong as this kid is supposed to be, you sure seem him knocked 5 yards or more off the LOS a lot. Way too passive.

So you watched 4 plays of the Chiefs game and ate up everthing that the announcers said on that night....right?? They also lauded how great Larry Foote has played and if somebody took the time to break down that game they would see tha Foote was terrible.

DE's still have gap responsibility on a zone block and cannot give it up just to try and drive the OG into the backfield. He did get too high on quite a few plays that he got ridden out vs the Chiefs, but you have to give Eric Winston some credit for being a great RT too and getting under Hood.

IMO, that game was more on Larry Foote not being able to get upfield to get to the RB on zones to our left. I watched the game over on dvr and he ran around most blocks or just grabbed the OG Asumogua who was trying to block him. If Foote reads the play and moves forward, he fills the holes. Watch a guy like D'Quell Jackson, Navarro Bowman or London Fletcher play that position and compare to Foote and we see the ILB play from Foote is weak.

My point is that Hood gets bad rep for that 1 game and he did his job most of the time by occupying his gap, Foote left gaping holes. We are fine at end, but need ILB, (to replace Foote), OLB (to replace aging Harrison), Safety (Clark and Troy arent getting any younger)