Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,502 Times in 551 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
There is nothing wrong with questioning any player on the roster.
There's a difference between questioning a player and being disappointed in him, and bashing a player. Too many Steeler fans cross that line, especially with QBs. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Ben Roethlisberger does wrong is not throw the ball away enough. Dumb QBs don't have only 1.99% of their passes intercepted over a three-year span. Uncoachable QBs don't learn a whole new system of offense in one off-season.

As for reading defenses, I've heard Cris Collinsworth say during a game (paraphrased), "He went through all his progressions and then some; that was his sixth read there, which was actually just him going from his fifth read back to his first again." Another announcer, I forget whom, illustrated Roethlisberger missing an open man by explaining that the open man was his first look, and he'd already moved on in his progressions before his man got open, then got flushed out of the pocket away from him. That doesn't sound like somebody who can't read defenses to me.

By the way, Aaron Rodgers has been sacked at a higher rate than Roethlisberger over the last three seasons, and that's with a somewhat better offensive line to boot. And though there's no doubt that Peyton Manning is smarter, I honestly cannot recall Roethlisberger throwing back toward the hashmarks from the sideline the way Manning did on his last throw of this past season (the overtime INT against the Ravens in the playoffs). What an idiotic throw that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Are you actually suggesting that we trade our franchise quarterback at 30 years old (who, I will say again, was having a near-MVP caliber season before his injury) for a 4th-round pick who had one decent drive? That is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard in my entire life. Lets see what the reaction is in Pittsburgh if that happens.
It'll be elation in the neighborhoods and suburbs with a below-average concentration of college degrees. Then when he fucks up, they'll call in to 93.7 The Fan and say, "See? This is why he wasn't drafted in the same round as RGIII!"
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote