Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,134 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell Jr. As OLine Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
P-G article states significant changes may be coming with regard to both the the members and blocking scheme of the O-line

The Steelers offensive line will have a different look in 2013, not just in personnel but also in execution.

At least, that is the intent of offensive coordinator Todd Haley and the team's new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell Jr....

But the true measure of how a line performs is often determined by how effectively a team runs the ball. And that is something the Steelers did not do very well in 2012, other than a three-game span in the middle of the season when they had three consecutive games with a 100-yard rusher -- something the team had not done in five years.

Haley and Bicknell would like to change that. And they will start with injecting more youth, more athleticism and less girth in the offensive line....

That's one of the reasons the Steelers are expected to part ways with Max Starks, who was arguably the team's best lineman in 2012 and the only one to play every snap. Tackles are responsible for allowing running backs to get to the edge and bounce outside, and how many times did you see a Steelers running back do that last season?

That is also not a good fit for guard Willie Colon, who was too thick to move at the team's top pulling spot. Colon, though, is not expected back because of his repeated injury problems....

The only question is at left guard, where 330-pound Ramon Foster finished the season as the starter.

Foster, though, does not run very well and is not an ideal fit for the team's primary pulling position. Plus, like Starks, he is an unrestricted free agent and might not be re-signed. That could pave the way for tackle Kelvin Beachum, last year's seventh-round pick, to be moved there.

In a season of injuries to many of their draft choices, Beachum was one of the team's most pleasant surprises. Not only did he impress the coaches with his ability to pass protect, he also showed an ability to get out of the edge and run block -- something the coaches want to see more of in 2013.

Beachum, 23, fits in perfectly with the team's desire to have lighter, more agile offensive lineman, and he could be moved to guard and given a chance to play there...

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-store-674173/
If the pass protect and run game improve with this scheme that results in consistent scoring - Beachum will look like the steal of the draft - this would be exciting. Nothing used in the past few seasons have given me that much confidence on that side of the ball, so why not take some more risks and play to strengths of the young guys -give them more trial by fire - I think we might just be pleasantly surprised with some of these moves.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote