Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,375 Times in 10,297 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers will select 17th in 2013 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
No way will we take an offensive lineman regardless of who is there. I gurentee it. Pouncey will be the highest paid center after this season plus we have Gilbert, Adams and DeCastro. We would have to cut our entire defense if we want to put that much money into our line. You can't expect to win in the NFL with all first and second round picks on your line. It will cost to much and kill the rest of the team. If you can'tdevelop later round picks on the line then our coaches are not very good
As I was discussing in another threat.

1) No matter who one drafts, you are eventually going to have to pay them.

2) That is not such a bad problem to have (having five Pro-Bowl level O-linemen) to "have" to pay.

3) Why not have a lot of money invested in O-line??? Teams invest in RBs and WRs... why not O-lienmen? If they make BB better, and BB is the key to Lombardis, then I say attribute a lot of money to O-line.

4) Having to pay O-linemen is $4-5 million... whereas, WRs and RBs are $9-10 million. It would not cost as much as one would think (about $24 million).

5) The Steelers can cross that bridge (pay them or draft replacements) when they come to it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: No matter where an O-lineman is drafted, if one happens upon a great one, even in R7, that lineman WILL get paid. See: Carl Nicks. Thus, I would rather have a great O-lineman now... and worry about paying him his huge contract later.

SUMMATION:
Pouncey will be paid now. Gilbert in four years. Adams & DD in three years. (And, Warmack in five years.) That means that the Steelers would not have any "cap issues" (ie having to pay these guys huge contracts) for three more seasons. And then, again, either pay them or draft replacements. But, in the meantime, the Steelers would have the MOST DOMINANT O-line for three years.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote