View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #47
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Pens open against Flyers in Philly?

Pens win but Sens lose their guy for the year

@NHL_SENSUpdate on Karlsson: Erik suffered a laceration to his left achilles, which will require surgery to repair. He will be out indefinitely.

Hocky world is up in arms becasue it was Cooke that cut him with the skate

SENATORS LOSE KARLSSON TO ACHILLES INJURY; FALL TO PENGUINS

PITTSBURGH -- The Ottawa Senators lost a lot more than a game.

Star defenceman Erik Karlsson went down with a left Achilles injury when he was cut by a skate blade late in the second period in the Senators' 4-2 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.

The Norris Trophy winner last season as the NHL's top defenceman, Karlsson was cut by Penguins forward Matt Cooke's skate blade as the two tangled along the boards. The Senators said Karlsson will need surgery.

"We all know who's involved in it," Ottawa coach Paul MacLean said about Cooke. "That's just the way it is. The injury to Erik was unfortunate and it happens on a nothing play that could've potentially been whistled down."

Cooke has been suspended several times for much criticized hits, some of them involving head-shots that injured opposing players. In 2011, Cooke was suspended for the Penguins' final 10 regular-season games and the first round of the Playoffs after an elbow to the head of New York Rangers' defenceman Ryan McDonagh.

Karlsson fell to the ice and was in visible pain after tangling with Cooke. He needed help getting back to the bench and displayed frustration, throwing his stick against the boards before disappearing down the runway.

"Him and I were engaged and he went down screaming," Cooke said. "I didn't even know what happened. It's a complete accident and obviously I feel terrible about it. It has happened a few times over the past couple years and it's scary."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415943

Last edited by Fire Haley; 02-14-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote