View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316
Default Re: Pittsburgh Sports Philosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Lanny Frattere came to the Pirates as the second banana behind Milo Hamilton, the man that replace Prince. Frattere replaced Hamilton after a few season later,

If you can ever get your hands on some old radio broadcasts of the Pirates, just listen to the difference, Also, I think you still can get your hands on the network broadcast of game seven of the '71 series. Prince did the first half.

Speaking of the 70's Pirates... Everybody talks about the "Big Red Machine" as the difinitive baseball club of that era. I'm here to tell you, our 70's Pirates were just as good, AND we about completely reworked the team and coaches between '71 and '79. I'm not sure who the GM was during that time, but he was plenty good.

For you anti baseball guys... If you ever played the game much, you'd understand. I'll agree that it is a game from years gone by. I also agree that baseball is not as telegenic as football.

You really need to go to the ballpark to appreciate it. Going once or twice doesn't get it either. You first need to do a little study of the opponents, ball parks, learn the averages, pitching strengths, weaknesses, because if you don't your not going to understand what is going through the managers head. It would be like going to an opera, and without being able to understand Italian, you don't know what the heck is going on.

Football is great sport mainly because you can enjoy it taking it at face value. Results are easily quantified. With baseball, you have to work at it a bit to get the full impact.
Both of those 70s Pirates teams were so great. I agree that the Lumber Company team does not get much respect from the 70s, where everyone points to the Big Red Machine instead. The Pirates could have been in the World Series more frequently, but they couldn't get past Cincy and LA, I believe, in the NLCS a few years in the mid-70s.

I still consider the Reds to be one of our biggest rivals. Other fans may disagree, but if you look at it from a historical perspective it's hard to deny. Same goes for the Phillies rivalry. Historically it was HUGE back in the 70s and 80s. Those two teams used to dominate the NL East during those decades. It was amazing how competitive they were.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote