teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,821 Times in 7,530 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Hunt for three key draftees heats up for Steelers

Elam aside...

Using solely the points made in this article as the criteria for the first three rounds of the draft, it would be one of these combinations:

OLB, RB, WR
OLB, WR, RB
WR, RB, OLB
WR, OLB, RB

First, RB in R1 is not an option, because there is no RB worthy of the 17th pick. Thus, those two options (RB, WR, OLB & RB, OLB, WR) were not listed.

After R1, the OLBs significantly drop off. Thus, it would make more sense to go for the OLB in R1, followed by either a WR then RB/a RB then WR. I truly do not feel that any of these WRs are really the best value at 17. Thus, let's assume that it is an OLB.

R1: OLB: Jarvis Jones, Dion Jordan, Barkevious Mingo, Sam Montgomery
(Bjeorn Werner, Demontre Moore)

Moving on to R2. If Eddie Lacy or Giovanni Bernard were there, they would be a solid pick (although, I'd prefer to go in another direction, those two players would be value picks). BUT, if those two are gone (which is most likely), then I say go after Tavon Austin, WVU. Sure, he's small, but he is dangerous.

Also, I like one of the three "Big E" TEs: Eiffert, Erzt, & Escobar. I think that a second TE would be great in the red-zone.

R2: WR: Tavon Austin, Robert Woods, Justin Huner, TE: Eiffert, Erzt, Escobar
(DeAndre Hopkins... RB: Eddie Lacy, Giovanni Bernard).

Now, we come to R3, where there will be a ton of RBs available (as well as some WRs who need some "polishing").

R3: RB: Montee Ball, Mike Gillislee, Marcus Lattimore WR: Aaron Dobson, Cobi Hamilton, Ryan Swope

Summation:
If I were to make the picks... and being realistic/not projecting Hopkins to be there in R2 (although "anything is possible")... here is what I'd take.

R1: Jarvis Jones, OLB
R2: Tavon Austin, WR
R3: Marcus Lattimore, RB
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (02-26-2013)