View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default An Interesting Look at the Raiders' Recent Drafts

I was talking to a buddy of mine about the offseason and draft and we're pretty excited about it. Granted, we were going into hour three of our lecture and were bored to tears and watching the paint on the wall would've made us both excited, but hey, that's a little besides the point right now.

He's a huge Raiders fan so he's been excited about the draft since September (his words - not mine). What I thought was most interesting, though, was when he started ranting on about who the Raiders could've had and what kind of team they could've had. I originally thought he was just delusional due to said lecture, but then he started name dropping on me and I was a little bit taken back.

2003 Draft - Pick 31

Who they picked: Nnamdi Asomugha
Who they should've picked: Nnamdi Asomugha

2004 Draft - Pick 2

Who they picked: Robert Gallery
Who they could've picked: Phillip Rivers, Larry Fitzgerald and Ben Roethlisberger.

2005 Draft - Pick 7

Traded the 7th overall pick to Minnesota (? I'm not 100% sure on this so a Raiders fan is going to help me out here)
Who they could've picked: DeMarcus Ware

2006 NFL Draft - Pick 7

Who they picked: Michael Huff
Who they could've picked: Haloti Ngata, Jay Cutler

2007 NFL Draft - Pick 1

Who they picked: JaMarcus Russell
Who they could've picked: Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, Jr.

These are the drafts that I think are the most interesting. From 2003 to 2007, they selected one Pro-Bowl player in the first round - Nnmadi Asomugha. He's also no longer on the team. Here's what's more interesting, though: Here's what the Raiders could've looked like -

Scenario 1: Ben Roethlisberger, DeMarcus Ware, Haloti Ngata and Megatron
Scenario 2: Larry Fitzgerald, Megatron, DeMarcus Ware, Jay Cutler

Both of these are insane - Ben Roethlisberger throwing to Megatron with Run DMC in the backfield? Man oh man. Then, if that wasn't good enough, Larry Fitzgerald and Megatron on the same team? It doesn't matter who the QB is, those two on the same team is ridiculous. Cutler, Fitz, Megatron and McFadden is the best offense in football - bar none.

Now, the chances that everything falls the way it did is basically 0. I mean, the chances the Raiders have the first overall pick in 2007 despite having Roethlisberger is very low. But, it's interesting to see how, in a parallel universe, the Raiders are an absolute powerhouse and, in all likelihood, a dynasty. It's interesting to see who they went with and what kind of players they took. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 here but again, man, the Raiders could've been absolutely unbelievable if the cards fell the way they did.

I can kind of see why he wasn't a fan of Al Davis.

Last edited by SteelersCanada; 02-20-2013 at 03:34 PM.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote