View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,256 Times in 4,492 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Is Heath Miller Worth 8 Million / Year Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I don't think you can do much to speed the healing of an ACL injury. Of course he'll "train his ass off," but the recovery period before that's possible is long. His injury occurred at the end of the year, so it's hard to really expect much at all from him in the 2013 season. Anything we get from Heath next year is a bonus.

Having said that, this is something I always wonder about. If a played is injured, is it really the case that the missed time counts against the cap? That seems wrong. Also, I assume that insurance policies held by the Steelers reduces the actual dollar hit. There must be some kind of procedures in place to allow a team to ride out a season-killing injury in a way that's fair to the owners and the player. Anybody know the options?

Good topic to discuss, but a healthy Heath Miller in his early 30's is well worth $8m/yr in my opinion - he's top notch at an important skill position. But we're talking about minimal production in 2013, full production in 2014.
very good point. I don't know of any options myself. I would assume that he would have to be placed on the injured reserve list by March 12th and would be unable to play all season, but I know of nothing specific. This would seem like it would benefit players and ownership.

EDIT: I don't know if this is in Miller's contract, but: "Many players also make less money if they are put on the IR list, which is sometimes referred to as the reserve/injured list. Players often agree to contracts that include reduced salaries if they go on IR. Often called split salaries, they usually are between 40 percent and 70 percent of the players' normal salaries. Not all contracts include reduced salaries for players who are put on IR. The Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) also sets minimum amounts for players' split salaries."

Last edited by harrison'samonster; 02-23-2013 at 06:37 PM. Reason: found this on the internets.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
fer522 (02-23-2013)