View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #15
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,785 Times in 4,305 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Is Heath Miller Worth 8 Million / Year Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
Next to Ben, Heath Miller was our best offensive weapon. We have to pay him this season and hope he returns to last seasonís form, and sooner rather than later.

But what if he doesnít? What if he isnít ready to go until the 5th week of the season, which would probably be realistic, or week 8? Our backups are mediocre. I canít see the Steelers going after a free agent like Bennett or Walker. Iíll be surprised if the Steelers pick up any free agents who are not dirt cheap.

The Steelers need to draft a tight end, and not in the 6th or 7th round. Even if Heath comes back quicker than expected, another quality tight end could be utilized in two tight end sets. Another big target in the red zone. If Ben has to play dink and dunk, give him another guy to do it with.

Hereís what I think we are looking at with respect to the draft and tight ends. We could perhaps get Tyler Eifert in the 1st round, Zack Ertz in the 2nd round, Vance McDonald in the 3rd round, or Gavin Escobar in the 4th round.

I watched the tight end 40-yard dashes yesterday. Escobarís stock fell because of his overall performance yesterday. Funny thing. Escobar had a false start on his 40 and walked off the track and back to the starting point. Who do you suppose ran up and starting talking to him? Yep, Todd Haley in a Steelers sweatshirt. Escobar ran a 4.84, Eifert a 4.68, Ertz a 4.76, and McDonald a 4.69.
interesting. We are definitely going to need to do something to help in the short term, I agree, even if we see him playing this year I think it won't be until at least half way through the season.